Tonight my heart was broken. Corbin told me he didn't want to sit in the rocking chair to hear the bedtime story. Not only that, but he picked out a book and said, "I want to read it. By myself. You can sit over there and listen, mama." I fought the tears back. I pleaded: "but Mommy really loves to read stories to you. I cherish it. Can I please read to you?" After he recited two stories (which, by the way, is so impressive that he has memorized them) I asked again.
He relented. He let me rub his back and he listened patiently as his mommy went through a ritual that was begun about 30 months ago; she's not going to let go of it very easily. Maybe it was just his mood tonight. Or maybe not. He might want to do his own "reading" from now on. What will I do then?! I guess I'm just going to have to be proud of the fact that he wants to read all on his own. But, if he tries to tell me he doesn't need any lullabies, I may just have to throw my own temper tantrum. SLOW DOWN, Corbo! You're way too big these days. Sniff, sniff.
2 comments:
That made me tearful, too! I think I'm going to go squeeze Natalie now...
waaaaaaaaaaah!!!! i'm glad you persisted and sure do hope it was just his mood. i think it might just work if you threw your own tantrum, but then again, that might back fire. :O) sniff sniff! stop growing all you babies!!!!
Post a Comment