Wednesday, January 5, 2011

This kid has a serious thing for Wall E.












The Christmas pajamas were a gift from Mema and Granddaddy. Totally adorable penguins in winter hats on a long,skinny toddler= perfection. 2011 has gotten off to a great start. I am publicly stating my resolutions. You may ask me about them in March to hold me accountable.
1. Be more optimistic
2.Floss
3.Start introducing some Spanish to Corbo

Now, for the BIG announcement. Matt and I read an article in The Pilot last week about a local couple who committed to not buying new "stuff" for an entire year. They spent 2010 forgoing consumerism. I found it fascinating. They laid ground rules out and stuck to it. They posted the plan in their home to remind them to stay diligent. What sparked their experiment was a little video called The Story of Stuff. I checked it out. It's a bit dramatic and leftist, but it does make one think about our ridiculous consumption-disposal cycle. I enjoy shopping and I have observed in myself certain spending trends. When I have a particularly rotten day, I fabricate a shopping list. It goes something like this: "gee, I feel rotten. Some retail therapy might cheer me up. Hmmm, Corbin does need new socks. I NEED some chapstick. We really NEED a door mat.... Before I know it I've visited Bed,Bath &Beyond, Wal Mart, and TJ Maxx to procure the needed (cough!) items, but I've been suckered into so much more. I can not admit to how many Goodwill trips I've made with useless junk that I purchased on a whim. And, I'd be further embarrassed to recount how many items I've thrown away. It seems that the majority of stuff we purchase is such poor quality that I end up replacing it within a few months. For example, we have been through at least 3 plastic brooms and 2 vacuums in the last two years. I go to Wal-Mart, succumb to the low prices, and then PAY for it later. Boy, this is a long post. I'll end it soon. The rules for us are as follows:
1.Groceries and toiletries are permitted
2.printer paper, pens, and pencils are permitted
3.Necessary household items that may break (refer back to the broom) can be replaced
4.2 meals out per month in restaurants (again, this has become a sort of therapy for me)
5.2 entertainment excursions per month
6.Running shoes as needed

NO new stuff. No new clothes, shoes, gadgets, make up, jewelry, cds, movies, books, etc...

What I hope will happen:
1.Save money for Corbin's surgery this summer
2.Learn new consumer responsibility
3.Spend far fewer hours in hell (a.k.a Wal-Mart)
4.Visit the library more, play board games
5.Learn to mend clothing out of necessity

What I hope won't happen:
1.Humiliation at the frumpiness of my old,dilapidated, out-dated clothes
2.Grumpiness

3 comments:

Libba said...

way to go weeks! very inspiring post for sure. and you know i've never thought your clothes/outfits frumpy or outdated. christmas this year drove me crazy in terms of the presents... i hate being asked what i want. i'm thinking... uh, more insulation in the house, money towards nathan's car seat etcetc. will you expound on the 2 entertainments per month? does that mean if you see 2 movies then you're maxed?

The Blanton Family said...

Man, that's a pretty serious resolution. I have to say, though, I'm intrigued. I told Chase and he said "What about beer?" and of course I'm thinking of birthdays and anniversaries! Good luck, friend. I guess we've got a lot of walking play dates ahead of us!

P.S. I held my breath when I read there was a big announcement... I thought it was something else ;)

TheOliverTree said...

I am impressed with your resolution...you can do it! I look forward to hearing how it goes!